Tuesday, November 4, 2008

11/4

So I voted for the first time ever today and it was pretty stress free. Maybe it was just because I got there so early, but I didn't have to wait in line and there were no issues with my registration. It was also all computerized so there was no hassle. I have been noticing that quite a few people are choosing not to vote and are proud of that fact. In my opinion that shouldn't be the case. In other countires such as Brazil, it is required by law to vote and if you don't then you have to pay a fine. In America we pride ourselves on the democratic process and were founded on the ideas that all men are created equal and that we have a right to govern ourselves. By not voting you are taking away your rights. In addition, if you don't vote you have no right to complain about the state of affairs for the next four years since you made no effort whatsoever to make your voice heard. In the age of facebook, blogs, and public expression of every feeling a person has it seems ridiculous that someone would choose to stay silent on an issue as serious as this.

No comments: